8/1/2022: Full Time Community Organizer
Genesis is searching for a talented and hard-working individual to fill the role of Community Organizer. Successful candidates for this position must be a values-driven, self-motivated, resourceful team player. The Organizer will work throughout Alameda County with a focus on the Tri-Valley area (Dublin, Livermore, and Pleasanton).
Reporting to the Executive Director of Genesis, the organizer shall work to broaden the organization’s membership, leadership and capacity to:
1) recruit new institutional members and leaders;
2) support the fundraising of an annual budget;
3) create and implement leadership development opportunities, while strengthening the capacity of Genesis of Tri-Valley; and
4) design and carry out issue campaigns related to economic development, environmental justice, restorative justice, and immigrant rights and protections.
Skills & Qualifications:
Experience as a community or labor organizer.
Experience working with diverse populations, including various faith traditions, immigrants, and different abilities is strongly desired.
Understanding of racial and social systemic systems and barriers and a solid commitment to breaking down those systems.
Understanding of a wide range of denominations, including religious minorities, and ways to build various ministries.
Experience with recruiting and training new leaders.
Experience working with elected officials.
Strong attention to detail and well-organized.
Strong ability to problem solve.
Possess ability to be collaborative and to work independently.
Able to exercise balanced judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions, and to handle difficult or confrontational situations in a calm, consistent, and equitable manner.
Ability and willingness to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends;
Written and verbal fluency in English is required, Spanish preferred but not required.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred in related areas: Community Studies, Social Work, Political Science, or Theology.
• Excellent communication skills: oral, written and interpersonal.
• Must attend Gamaliel Weeklong Leadership Training.
• Must be a licensed driver with reliable personal automobile and ability to meet organization’s minimum auto insurance requirements;
• Experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and virtual meeting tools (Zoom, Google Meet, etc.) as well as social media platforms for organizing (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). Familiarity with using databases (Google) is desirable.
Salary is competitive and based on experience. Benefits are included.
Genesis is committed to staff diversity. BIPOC individuals and others who are affected by the issues we care about are strongly encouraged to apply.